Do you want my flannel?

spring blog commence!

Friday, November 11, 2005

So I was tearing tickets at the Magik Markers show tonight and talking to this guy who was working with me and here's a bit of the conversation we had:

Mike: So where are you from?
Me: Texas. Where are you from?
Mike: Jersey.
Me: My mom's from Jersey.
Mike: Oh where in Jersey?
Me: Wayne.
Mike: Oh yea I know Wayne. And where's your dad from?
Me: Mexico.
Mike: Really?
Me: Yea.
Mike: So he's Mexican?
Me: Yea.
Mike: Huh, you don't look Mexican.
Me: Yea, I know.

So yea. I haven't heard the whole "you don't look Mexican" thing in a long time. Sometimes I'm annoyed by the comment, sometimes I'm amused, sometimes I just don't care. Tonight I saw it coming from the moment he asked where my dad was from. I just thought, "after I answer this question, he's gonna get a surprised face and say 'you don't look Mexican.'" And he did. What all these people don't know is that what I lack in looks, I gain in dance and accent when I speak Spanish. So there.

I still don't like spicy foods though. According to my mom, that's what makes me a strange Mexican/Italian. So I guess I got my taste buds from the Norwegian in me. Anyways, I like ethnology. It's pretty neat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Byron said...

anna you are mexican?

you dont look mexican.

today's word:
owqbdim: a specialized apparatus for cleaning parasites off coral.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home