Do you want my flannel?

spring blog commence!

Sunday, June 19, 2005

I see you're drinking wine. Are you drunk Papi?

Tonight I was in my backyard playing with my dog and digital camera when I heard some strange music. It was coming from the house behind ours. I would describe the music as an organ or maybe an accordion playing old American folk standards such as "Yankee-Doodle" and songs of that nature. I then decided to have fun with the camera and photo-document our amusements.


It began with a shot of mom washing the dishes.


Followed by my self-portrait in my big, dark, scary-at-night backyard.


The moon shining through the trees.


Alien Rex and squeaky ball.


Alien Rex and squeaky ball 2.

The music could still be heard after awhile so being the amused/bored/curious little girl that I am, I ran inside and grabbed my video camera to document the events. Unfortunately, by the time I fast-forward through Juan's graduation and got outside the music had stopped. But I continued to the scariest part of my yard, the back, and tried to see if I could see anything, a party or something. But I suppose they retreated back inside. Plus all the bushes don't help. But it made for an amusing use of my video camera I suppose. And a tour of my backyard.

After an unsuccessful "weird music documentary," I went and sat with my dad on the patio. I turned the camera on him, told him I noticed he was drinking white wine, and then asked him if he was drunk to which he replied "No Annie, I don't get drunk." And then I asked him questions about his wine and where it was from. "Napa Valley." "Ever been to Napa Valley?" "Well yea, I lived in Palo Alto remember?" "What's your favorite wine?" "Merlot." And so on and so forth. We then talked about tequila and my uncle and his family's vineyard in Mexico. I then asked my father why as a child I listened to songs about cockroaches that smoked marijuana. Confused, he asked me what I was talking about and I started singing:

"La cucaracha, la cucaracha,
Ya no puede caminar;
Porque no tiene, porque le falta
Marijuana que fumar."

"Ohhh. Because we wanted you to be a drug-dealer." Riiiiiiiiiight Papi. It made for an amusing interview and if you're interested in viewing it, don't worry. I'll make you watch it when I come back.

Speaking of the song, I actually had a discussion with my mom about it one day. I asked why while other kids were listening to Raffi tapes on road trips, we were listening to songs about high cockroaches. Apparently, there are a lot of nasty little songs like that about things that I won't comment on. But that's what the kid songs were like. And when I have kids, we're listening to those tapes on road trips. Hey, I turned out alright...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home