Do you want my flannel?

spring blog commence!

Sunday, April 03, 2005

All the sounds of the earth are like music

If I could find English translations to songs from Carmen, I would have put them instead of a line from "Oh What a Beautiful Mornin'" from Oklahoma. But anyways. Tonight I went to see the New York City Opera's production of Carmen at the New York State Theatre in Lincoln Center. First off, I would just like to state how much I enjoy Lincoln Center and that I definitely don't go there enough. It never ceases to amaze me and I hope that one day I'll get to work there somehow.

So Carmen. For my first opera experience, I would say it was a good one. I talked to my mom this morning and told her I was going to see it and she said that it was a good first timer opera. Thanks to NYU's Ticket Central, I was able to purchase a $33 orchestra seat and when I got there I saw that the seat was actually very good. And the fact that the 2 seats in front of me were empty made the experience that much more enjoyable. Overall the opera was very beautiful. I started to tear up when the overture began because I recognized all the songs. I felt so lame that the curtain hadn't even risen yet and I was already crying. But when the opera started I sucked it up and watched. And then I started to cry when all the little kids came on stage pretending to be soldiers. I was drawn to the smallest kid on stage. He was a little boy probably 6 years old and he was so cute. He was marching along and so into it and I thought this is probably like the pretend game for him except on a stage in front of thousands of people. I think the only complaint I have about it is that there were a few times where the orchestra was drowning out the singers. But for the most part you could hear them fine. It's really a lovely opera and I would recommend it to anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home